Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Strawberry Season Has Arrived!!!

It has been raining an unbelievable amount this past week, but somehow the strawberries seem to be surviving! Today I collected my kids after school and headed off to the country side to pick berries. It was a welcome change from the usual daily grind. My heart was literally racing as I approached the berry fileds and knelt down to start picking. The thrill that nature (with the help of some good farmers) produces these delicious fruits for us to eat is just incredible. We came home with 19 pounds of berries. Now it's time to clean, cut freeze cook and enjoy them.


Here are some great strawberry recipes from years past:


Best Ever & No Pectin 



Strawberry Farmers Lemonade
Strawberries with Lemon Verbena Cream


Salad with Strawberries, Goat Cheese and Salt & Pepper Almonds
Strawberry Coconut Milk "Ice Cream"















I picked my strawberries at Jones Family Farms again this year (and a few in my backyard). If you are looking for a place to pick, check: pickyourown.org or in CT go to buyctgrown.com.

What are you planning to do with your berries?

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Strawberry-rhubarb pie for me!
    Regarding freezing, they turn to mush when I thaw, so if I freeze them, I first make a puree and use it as a sauce or other ingredient later. How do you freeze strawberries?

    ReplyDelete