Friday, August 12, 2011

Peaches Are Back

Heaven for me would be an hour or two of fruit picking every day. Just the thought of it makes my heart swell.  I can hear the fruit ripening on the trees beyond the city limits. I can almost feel the soft flesh of the fruit on the trees, a gentle pressure under my finger tips just before it is plucked from the branch. There is something addictive about fruit picking, and whatever it is I am hooked.

There is so much to say about fruit picking that I could ramble on for hours. However, since I'm trying to get my family out to the woods for some R&R, dancing and peace, you'll have to settle for one good seasonal recipe, and wait till I get back for more fruit picking rantings. In New England right now, blueberries are finishing, and peaches, plums, raspberries and summer apples are just getting started. Go to  www.pickyourown.org for info on where and what to pick in your area.

Here's a link to my Peach & Raspberry Pie from last summer
And, last night I made an easy Peach Buttermilk "Ice Cream" by blending, buttermilk, light brown sugar, fresh peaches, and a few leaves of fresh lavender (optional). Pour it into an ice cream maker and enjoy! well, there, see I ranted anyway.....


Roasted Corn and Peach Salad 
with Tarragon and Basil

3 Ears of Corn
3 peaches, cut into a small dice
Scallion, red onion, or chives
3 sprigs of Basil,  leaves finely chopped
1 sprig of tarragon finely chopped
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. Shuck corn. Roast over an open flame on a grill or stove top, turning until it is browned on all sides. Cut corn from the cob.
  2. Toss all ingredients together in a bowl and let sit for 15 minutes before serving. adjust seasoning as desired. 
This salad can be used to top off grilled meats, fish or tofu, it is also delicious over lettuce with some lentils or a hard boiled egg added for protein. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you to CitySeed for cooking this wonderful salad at their Friday Hill market a few weeks back! I wish I could have been there!!

    ReplyDelete