Saturday, November 28, 2009

Fall Harvest

Beautiful, (but short) carrots from our backyard garden. After reading the picture book Carrot Soup to my 5 year old son for a few years, we finally got around to planting a number of varieties of carrots in our own garden. These carrots are called "sugarsnaxs", and were our first crop which we pulled in early November. We ate a bunch and brought some to school for the whole kindergarten class to munch on.

One last zucchini and a few lingering raspberries off the frost kissed bush. It is great to live in a city but have a small piece of ground to plant. While I still miss Brooklyn, NY where I lived for many years, I am thankful to be back in my home town of New Haven where I have roots, and can literally plant new ones. Harvesting food we grew ourselves is such an easy reminder to be thankful for the blessings that we have, no matter how small.

No comments:

Post a Comment